Episode 76 - Navigating Baby Loss As A Business Owner with Debbie DanonOct 12, 2022
Did you know that around 1 in 5 pregnancies ends in miscarriage?
That equates to around a quarter of a million losses every year in the UK and even more in the US.
Yet despite how common it is, many women don’t share their experiences or the grief, trauma, and heartbreak they have experienced.
We often feel that we’ve failed or that we’ve somehow caused the pregnancy loss or haven’t yet announced the pregnancy so cannot express our grief to others.
Then we’re faced with dealing with a medical system that often isn’t set up to address the emotional trauma, undergo medical procedures, and deal with our sense of loss, all whilst doing our best to hold our lives together, despite the overwhelming emotions we’re experiencing.
I know exactly how distressing this can be because before I had my daughter Elessandra, I suffered from a miscarriage too and found that there was very little support for women like me.
That’s why, when I sat down with Leadership Consultant and certified Integral Development Coach and founder of Time to Flourish, Debbie Danon, and discovered that she had experienced the same, I decided to dedicate an entire episode of the podcast to talking about what we have both been through.
Hopefully, this will give strength to other women and help them work through their loss with the support and understanding of community. ❤
Listen to this episode to discover:
- How breaking the silence about baby loss and leaning on community can bring us strength during difficult times
- Why it’s so important to help others feel heard, not try to make them feel better
- GUILT, grief, and blame and why we need to give ourselves grace when life gets tough
- Why it’s so vital to speak to our partners about how they feel about the loss too
- How focusing on our own well-being and NOT trying to be superwoman can help us come to terms with loss
And much more! Listen below.
- “I was just in just terror really and in the car on the way to the hospital, I was thinking, ‘What did I do yesterday? What did I do this morning? What have I done that might afford this?’ It's so funny how the self-blame kicked in so quickly.” -Debbie
- “I remember waking up from being put asleep and I was immediately crying. I remember being taken back to the ward and this wonderful, male, African nurse was like, ‘you're going to be okay and it will happen for you again’”. -Eleshia
- “I had to get really clear on the fact that, without the support of other people, I couldn't do it. It was too hard to do on my own. Because my inner critic was going mad and my superstitious side was just triggered. I needed my partner to help me see what I wanted and what he was made for.” - Debbie
- “I didn't want that pity and I was in superwoman mode. I was helping to run, multi-million-pound portfolios. I didn’t want anybody to think that I couldn't do my job, which now I know is the wrong approach. You can’t do that to yourself. You need that time to heal.” - Eleshia
Other resources mentioned
- COVN Collective
- Pink Elephants
- Petals Charity
- No Normal Baby Loss
- FREE 3-part video series on how to beat overwhelm
- The Eleshia Show Podcast Chats
Debbie's business is Debbie Danon - Time to Flourish. She is a leadership consultant and certified Integral Development Coach. She coaches leaders of all levels, from C-Suite Execs to first-time managers, to discover flourishing on their own terms, in leadership, and in life. And she supports them to embed cultures of flourishing for the people they lead, too.
Her proven framework of Rebel Leadership helps clients practice acts of Rebel Alignment, Rebel Balance, and Rebel Courage, enabling them to break free of limiting beliefs and bring about more of what helps them and their organisations to flourish. Time and again, her clients are demonstrably better able to respond to this complex world with new-found courage, self-compassion, and joy after working with her.
All of her work is supported by a deep understanding of somatics (body work) and of systemic oppression. She is also a developmental poet.
Connect with Debbie Danon
About the show:
Need simple strategies to help you grow your business and achieve more without working harder? Struggling to balance work, life, and all your other commitments and don’t want to burn out? You’re in the right place.
The Eleshia Show is a holistic business and lifestyle strategy podcast to help you get clear on your business goals, stop procrastinating, boost your income, and do what lights you up.
Women are taking notice! We have listeners across 45 countries and over 600 cities! We’re teaching female business owners across the world how to achieve more with less while looking after themselves. And we can do the same for you!
We’re having intimate conversations — the kinds that most female business owners are having privately. You don’t want to miss these.
Tune in to the podcast every Wednesday to discover exactly what expert CEOs did to get their businesses off the ground and achieve success so you can do the same!
With your host, Eleshia Harris, business coach and growth strategist, you can redefine what success means, ditch the stress and confusion and learn how to run your business from a place of ease and excitement.
If you want to talk business, wellbeing, lifestyle, mindset, goals, and scaling organic growth, don’t miss it!
Connect with Eleshia and the community today