Episode 66 - How We Can Use Music to Fill Us With Joy or Work Through Challenging Emotions with Marlys WoodsJul 27, 2022
We all love music, don’t we?
I only have to put on my favourite tunes, crank up the volume and sing and dance if I want to feel amazing.
Or listen to my late mum’s favourite songs if I want to remind myself of her love for all those years and feel grateful.
Or pop on those songs from the playlist I created for my birth experience if I want to go right back to that emotional, incredible time when I finally met my daughter, Elessandra.
But it’s not always easy.
Sometimes the songs that used to bring us joy trigger difficult feelings of grief, suffering and powerlessness and leave us unable to move through. You’ve probably experienced the same if you’ve lost a loved one and I know I certainly did when I lost my mum.
That’s why I was so excited to have this week’s podcast guest, Marlys Woods on the virtual couch to talk about how she uses her love of music, relationships and people to help those who seek emotional healing.
She shares so many fascinating insights into music and how it can be used therapeutically for everyone, no matter what challenges they are facing.
If you’ve ever felt shivers when listening to a song, don’t miss it!
Listen to this episode to discover:
- How music can sometimes leave us feeling stuck (and what we can do about it)
- Why we’re all creatives, artists and musical people, even if we struggle to keep a beat
- The jaw-dropping magical powers of music (don’t miss what she says about newborns!)
- How we can use music to fill us with joy or work through challenging or powerful emotions
And much more!
- “Most of us use music to get us through the emotional place we’re at. But it's often when we're in the lower emotional states, the more uncomfortable emotional states when we latch onto whatever we're listening to.”- Marlys Woods
- “We can help ourselves by asking ‘What do I need to do to move myself forward? What new song do I need to put on to move myself through this or to work towards my goal of the emotion I want to feel?’ instead of just an awareness of what you’re feeling.”- Marlys Woods
- “Choose to look at your emotions and use music to help you work through it. Instead of letting a song bring difficult emotions back, choose one that reminds you of her, pumps you up and makes you feel good so you can spend the rest of the day feeling positive about her.” - Marlys Woods
- “Even the best of us that are trained to deal with our emotions don't know how to deal with what just happened right now. Cause it's so different for each of us. Music therapy can help.” - Marlys Woods
Music was how Marlys learned to connect to her own emotions, learn about herself, and communicate with others. As a Board Certified Music Therapist (MT-BC) and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, she now helps others to do the same!
Marlys combined her love of music with her desire to serve others and founded Get In Tune. She is passionate about using her knowledge of relationships, people, and music to help those seeking emotional healing.
Connect with Marlys Woods
About the show:
Need simple strategies to help you grow your business and achieve more without working harder? Struggling to balance work, life, and all your other commitments and don’t want to burn out? You’re in the right place.
The Eleshia Show is a holistic business and lifestyle strategy podcast to help you get clear on your business goals, stop procrastinating, boost your income, and do what lights you up.
Women are taking notice! We have listeners across 45 countries and over 600 cities! We’re teaching female business owners across the world how to achieve more with less while looking after themselves. And we can do the same for you!
We’re having intimate conversations — the kinds that most female business owners are having privately. You don’t want to miss these.
Tune in to the podcast every Wednesday to discover exactly what expert CEOs did to get their businesses off the ground and achieve success so you can do the same!
With your host, Eleshia Harris, business coach and growth strategist, you can redefine what success means, ditch the stress and confusion and learn how to run your business from a place of ease and excitement.
If you want to talk business, wellbeing, lifestyle, mindset, goals, and scaling organic growth, don’t miss it!
Connect with Eleshia and the community today
Jenna and I on the Gold Digger podcast
When Jenna told me the date my episode was going to air, I shrieked and got to work to implement the podcast strategies she shared.